Slacker update

Where oh where to begin.

Well, it's been about a month since I have posted anything. I do apologize for not keeping all my loyal fans up to speed on progress and downfalls. However, I know you all are true fans (and friends) and wouldn't give up on me just because I've been slacking.

I'm going to start with negatives and the bring it back up to posi, because that's how I roll.

In late September, I lost my dear Grandfather. It was a very difficult time for me, as I live in Virginia, and everyone for the most part, in my family is in New Hampshire. Grampa fell ill I believe, in early September, and things were beginning to look better, but unfortunately he didn't make it through. My Grandfather has been fighting his entire life. Undergoing an experimental heart surgery under 30, to be told he wouldn't survive much longer even after surgery, only to defy the odds and live another 40+ years after. He was an amazing man. Kind, gentle, understanding, funny, stubborn, and supportive. I think we've all been preparing for this day for a few years now, but when it did eventually come, it was hard for us all to say goodbye. Grampa was someone that I always made sure to visit when I was home. I loved just sitting with him in the living room and hearing about how things are going and answering all his questions he had for me about life in Virginia. I'm going to miss his cards, and phone calls on my birthday and going home and not seeing him is going to be tough...
Dealing with death is fairly new to me this year. I've lost Great Grandparents and Aunts/ Uncles, but I was also young, and didn't know them well. I had to say goodbye to a childhood friend earlier this year as well. I guess this year is the year to learn how to deal with grief. I'm learning, that it doesn't get any easier. That being said, I am learning how to cope with grief and stress. I used to just shove food in my mouth. But that obviously doesn't work well for me now. I think I'm learning that it's okay to cry, and to be sad, mad, or whatever. It's okay to cry because the dog on the commercial can't find his bone, and it's okay to cry because you've lost someone you loved. I'm thankful for my amazing friends and family, both near and far. I have the most amazing support system, I don't know what I would do without them <3

Okay, on to the posi... I've been working out on a regular basis with my lovely roommate. We really push each other at the gym. Not in the competitive sense, but in the holy crap look at her go sense. It's totally awesome, and we both want to collapse at the end of each workout, but I think that if we ran out of the gym and barely broke a sweat we would be embarrassed by ourselves. We always talk about that. I mean, we are at the judgement free zone, so there shouldn't be any judgement going on, but, why are you at the gym, if you are 120 lbs and just walking on the treadmill at zero incline, talking on your cell phone and doing your make up. Maybe I'm being a little sarcastic, but I mean, the whole point of working out is to work out right? Not to gossip with your buddy via bluetooth.

I've also tried cooking more. Which I feel like I've written about in a previous post, but I have the worst memory, so sorry if this is a repeat. But I promise it won't be EXACTLY the same wording (hopefully). Thank god (again) for my roommate. She will usually eat anything I make. I did make an oopsy with dinner a few weeks ago. I had been craving Jamaican Jerk Pizza from California Pizza Kitchen, and thought to myself that I could make it at home, exactly how I wanted and for a lot less money. I had found some jerk sauce at Trader Joe's a while ago, and thought this would be perfect on it. As I begin compiling my pizza, I spread the sauce on, and tried a tiny little bit...It was SOOO spicy, I mean I know I'm a wuss when it comes to spice, but I thought I had third degree burns on my tongue just from trying the smallest sample. So I decided to try and scrape some of it off the pizza dough (I later learned that just makes it worse), then I added some BBQ sauce to try and sweeten it up. I figured that did the trick, so I finished adding the rest of my ingredients, cooked it, and my roommate and I sat down to enjoy my new creation. I couldn't even finish one piece of the pizza. I spent the rest of the night apologizing to my roommate for this horrific thing I had created. Needless to say, the following week I went to CPK and satisfied my craving. I will leave the Jamaican jerk pizza to the experts.

I made mixture for the spinach and quinoa cakes last week, but I also added sauteed onions to the mixture, and instead of frying the cakes in olive oil, I stuffed them in green peppers and baked it in the oven. OMG...Ah-may-zing! I felt like the flavor really came out in them this way. Oh, I also cooked the quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water. My nutritionist suggested this to add some flavor. I was at my friends house last night and was telling him about the things I've been making, and he commented that I was an actual cook. I don't think I would go that far, but I think I am actually learning and impressing myself these days.

I threw my roommate a surprise party for her birthday this weekend. I have been planning this for a little over a month now. And I must confess, I am quite impressed with my party planning skills. And, the fact that she didn't have any idea until the night before when I was cleaning at 2 am, and when her friend refused to allow her to go to the store because she had to come home to the party. I enjoy party planning, and hosting. I just don't think I can handle the stress of a surprise party. I've also learned that I love lists. People lists, food lists, to do lists. They are so helpful haha. I made a few things for the party, and I even allowed for meat to be a part of the menu. I made mini fajita mediterranean pizzas and peppadew peppers stuffed with goat cheese. I also bought and served a few other items like ceviche (a Peruvian dish), BBQ pulled chicken and mini quiches. I also bought a vegan strawberries and cream cake from a place called CakeLove. Everything was fantastic, the cake was amazing too, we still have plenty left over if anyone would like some ;)

I was concerned about throwing a party and not being able to eat much, or drinking. But it all went well. I ate small increments throughout the night and don't think I had time to even worry about not being able to get my drink on. Maybe I will try drinking again one day...

As I've mentioned before, I have these bouts where I feel like my weight loss isn't progressing as much as I'd like. But you know, I'm starting to notice that I look different. I certainly would hope that I would after losing over 70 lbs in less than 6 months. I know every one's weight loss is different after surgery, and I know I'm not following the guidelines as strictly as others. But I want to live my life as normally as possible, and I feel sooo much better than I did a year ago. I'm fitting in smaller clothes and tighter spaces haha. I just noticed the other day, that I look different in pictures. I saw a picture of myself from 4th of July 2010, and was in shock of what I looked like, I know I've said this many times, but it's so crazy how you have this certain perception of yourself in your mind, and it can be so different than reality. My mind is still catching up on how I currently look.

I haven't taken any full body shots, per Doctors Orders, but will provide you with a face shot I took this morning on facebook, since Internet Explorer doesn't want me to add it to my blog today...


My Dad and sister will be arriving on Thursday for a long weekend visit. I am so excited for them to visit. My Dad hasn't been down for a couple of years, and I'm really looking forward to having some quality family time with them. I don't think we have any set plans yet. There are a few museums we want to see, and I just made plans to find a vegan gourmet cake with my sister.

Well I think I have update all of you diehards with everything. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for all your support, I promise not to forget you when I'm skinny (I kid, I kid).

Comments

Popular Posts