2017–Year End Review

It’s FINALLY here. 2017 is over!! I’m not sure if there is a year I’ve been happier to see gone in my adult life. Although 2017 had some pretty good memories, I’m not lying when I say that there has been a whole lotta crap thrown about.

Overall, I can’t really complain too much. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have a good life, good friends, family and a great partner.

This year started off pretty interesting. We went on our first vacation together and survived. Ryan survived his first (and second) airplane rides, with only a couple break ups mid taxi to take off. I was able to show him around the city which helped mold me into the woman that I am today, and he was able to meet some pretty important fellas too.

We decided to see if we could someday buy a house...and somehow ended up buying a house! We have survived our first 7 months in this new house, having fun learning what comes along with being homeowners and enjoying sharing our home with our family and friends.

I lost 4 important people in my life in 2017. Ryan lost an Uncle that he was very close to as a kid. And I learned that no matter how many deaths you experience in your life, it never really gets easier. I’m thankful that I was able to spend as much time as I could with my grandparents before they passed and that I was able to visit my friend in Virginia when we visited in March. I learned to love the ones you love as much as you can because you never know what could happen.

I learned more lessons about only relying on yourself for self happiness. People are always going to disappoint you. Some will never live up to your expectations because we are all different. And while that can be frustrating, it’s not worth the energy to continually hold that grudge.

I’m not a huge fan of New Years Resolutions, as they seem to be so cliché. But as the year winds down and I reflect on a time of year that always tends to wear me thin, I’m reminding myself to put self care first. We sometimes forget that our mental and physical health is the first thing we need to take care of before we can really care for anyone or anything else. So this is my reminder that it’s okay to turn down invites, it’s okay to sleep that extra hour, to not work that extra day. It’s okay to take that mental health day and go to the beach, or to spend that money to get that hair cut. It’s okay to put me first.

I hope you each had the chance to reflect on your year and plan to make 2018 the best one yet.

Comments

  1. Well said. Good 2017. Lets go for a great 2018! Love you ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts