4 months, really?

I can't believe it's been 4 months since I have had surgery. Sometimes I feel like it was just yesterday, and other times I feel like it was a decade ago. I have to say, acclimating to this new stomach, and lifestyle, has been much easier than I had thought. I'm now able to eat mostly whatever I want, and haven't had too many negative experiences with food.

I am starting to find joy in cooking again. I lost it for a while, mostly because I hated to put all this time and energy into something, to only be able to eat a bite or two. But thankfully, my lovely roommate, is usually willing to eat what I cook, which helps me find the motivation to do so. I tried quinoa last week, (keen-wah...thanks sis!) and it wasn't too bad. I had tons left over though, so I wanted to try and find a recipe specifically for leftover quinoa...I found this awesome recipe online, for spinach and goat cheese quinoa cakes. They were surprisingly easy to make. I replaced the goat cheese with gorgonzola, and they were awesome! Something I will definitely be making again.

I think everyone will be very happy to hear, I have been going to the gym on a regular basis for the past couple of weeks! I always knew that I enjoyed going to the gym, and that my biggest issue was actually getting there. I think that the biggest problem was fear. Fear that I would be judged, or make an ass out of myself somehow. It's funny how we have these silly fears sometimes. I would be more than willing to make a fool out of myself at any time, but when it comes to an unfamiliar place, with unfamiliar people, forget about it. But I sucked it up and went. My first time, I stepped on a treadmill, hit "Quick Start" and nothing happened. Instant anxiety, all I was thinking was, "You've got to be kidding me...I can't even figure out how to turn this on?!?!" Well come to find out, the main power  wasn't on...so I just moved to a different machine, and voila! As I was working out for the first time, I saw the "30 Minute Workout" circuit, and had heard plenty about it from others, but it looked to intimidating to me...why wasn't any one using it? So I skipped it that time, so I could go home and do more research. So I called my sister, and she helped me gain better insight on this mystery circuit. The next time I ventured to the gym, I tried it...and really liked it! I have done the circuit each time I've gone... I even walked to the gym this weekend! It's only about a half mile away, and it was a nice walk to get me warmed up. I think I could get used to this being fit thing...

The scale hasn't moved for me a a couple of weeks. I am strangely okay with that though. I have lost a total of 65 lbs in 4 months. I know that since I started working out my weight won't change for a bit, but I feel good, and that's all that matters right now. I know the scale will start to move again soon. I can be patient :) Clothes are beginning to become unwearable, shoes are starting to become more comfortable. I need to take a weekend to seriously go through all my clothes and start making room for new, smaller articles!

I'm really glad that I decided to take time for myself a couple months ago so I could get my life straight and really focus on things that are important in my life. I've realized that when life become stressful, I can no longer veg out on the couch and eat away my sorrows. I have to find new, healthier choices to help cope with stress and anxiety. And I have to say, I think I've begun to find em :)

By the way, my surgeon suggested that I start taking pictures once every 3 months, instead of every month, so that we can see more of a difference, I know you all were anxiously awaiting those month 4 photos, but you will just have to be patient and wait til Fall!

Now I shall leave you will the recipe from The Barefoot Kitchen, and a picture of the cutest puppy in the world!

Quinoa Cakes with Spinach and Goat Cheese
makes about 20 small cakes
ingredients:
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked quinoa
4 ounces goat cheese
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
olive oil for frying
how to:
1. Wash and chop the spinach, pat dry. Mince the garlic. Heat 1 tablespoon
of olive oil in a small skillet. Cook the garlic until lightly browned, about a minute, then add the spinach. Cover, and cook until wilted. Set aside and let cool.
2. In a small saucepan, mix the quinoa and the goat cheese over low heat (to help melt the cheese). Remove from heat when well combined.
3. Chop the cooked spinach finely, mix with the quinoa and goat cheese. Beat the egg and mix in until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat a layer of olive oil in a non-stick skillet.  Form the quinoa into 2″ patties about 1/2 inch thick. Drop into the oil and cook until well browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, then set on paper towels to drain.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

Comments

Popular Posts