Happy Summer Solstice

I can't believe Summer is already here (though, from the weather lately, I feel like Summer has been here for the past 2 months)! Today isn't the best day to be welcoming the new season, its awfully gloomy outside today. But of course, it's nice and muggy as always.

I love my Pepé, and am so thankful that he was able to help me find a new car before Bluple (my old car) fell into pieces, however, not having air conditioning in DC, in July, is not fun. I am hoping that the fact that I've lost weight will help with the sweat factor.

Summertime to me, means cookouts, badmitten,  lots of quality time poolside and of course the annual summer, Keg Party also comes to mind. I don't think I will be participating in many of these summer time events this year :( Though I might host a majority of these events, I don't think my sleeve is ready. I have been spending a fair amount of time at our complex's pool this year. Last year, I was so afraid to go to it, since our complex is GIGANTIC and there are a million children living here, I could only imagine the pool being complete chaos all summer long. Last year, I finally got the nerve, and was hot enough, to venture down. Surprisingly, it was quiet, there were only a handful of kids, and hardly anyone in the pool. Since I started attending the pool in August, I didn't get many days in. This year, my roommate and I made sure to start early. We went almost every day one week, and tried swimming "laps". Our version was one lap, a 2 minute break, then another lap. But hey it got us moving, and I must say my freckle "tan" is looking nice.

I made a promise to myself to not buy any new articles of clothing until I absolutely have to. Well, this  weekend I caved and bought a new bathing suit. I figured though, that with the amount of time I hope to be spending in the pool this summer, I want to feel comfortable. Plus it was on sale (my mom taught me at an early age never to buy retail)!

I'm beginning to feel more like myself, and forgetting that I had major gastric surgery nearly a month ago. I am able to eat SALAD now. I was SO excited to be able to enjoy a nice fresh salad. I know it doesn't have a lot of protein in it, but I try to add hardboiled egg whites, and plenty of cheese to it to boost it up. I'm just glad that I can enjoy some "normal" food again.

My motivation has been lacking still, in the exercise department, even though I've been walking about a mile when at the dog park with Mallah, and had been swimming, I feel like I really need to start pushing myself harder. I think the fact that I am going home in August is going to help motivate me. I know that the scale shows I've already lost a fair amount of weight in the past month and a half, but I want to REALLY be able to see a difference when I am home.

I made an egg casserole this past weekend that I found on the forum I go to all the time (verticalsleevetalk.com). I made a few adjustments to it since I don't eat meat, and thought that just adding onion flakes would be a bore. I also added one more egg to try and add a little more protein since I was taking out the ham.

Also, I made flour-less PB cookies this weekend. They are high in protein and satisfy that sweet tooth craving I get once in a blue moon.

AND I gave the pooch a bath. It went pretty smoothly I must say. That might have something to do with many trials and errors. I've learned to tie her to the shower knobs and to also sing my heart out to her. The neighbors probably think I am crazy, but that's okay :)

Recipes below, and a photo of the cutest little puppy in the world.

Breakfast Casserole:

140 calories, 12g of protein and only 3g of carbs. My version might be a little different nutrition wise...

1 1/2 cups ham (cubed or shredded)
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup crushed crackers (saltines/Ritz)
1/4 cup shredded cheese
2 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon onion flakes  1/2 cup finely chopped onion
6 eggs 7 eggs
1/2 cup of finely chopped red peppers
1/2 cup of finely chopped green peppers

Directions


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan.

Melt the margarine in a large bowl. Add the ham, yogurt, crackers, cheese and onion. Stir. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, then stir into the first mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until center is firm. Let stand before serving. 9 servings.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

84 cals, 3 carbs and 3 protein
Ingredients
  • 1 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup sugar (I used 2/3 cup splenda)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Coarse sea salt
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place racks in the upper and lower third of the oven.
In a medium bowl, mix the peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until well combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture about 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten the mounds with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern on the cookies. Sprinkle coarse salt on top of the cookies.
Bake until golden around edges, about 10 minutes, switching the position of the pans halfway thorough baking. Transfer to racks to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
What Makes This Recipe Really Sing: Without the flour getting in the way, you really get that true peanut butter flavor.

BYOC: Try tossing in mini versions of stuff. I love peanut butter chips, mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut and even a mini peanut butter cup. Try making a thumb print cookie and add jelly to it. Go crazy, kids and adults love these.




Ramallah, pre grooming days, relaxing at the Washington Monument before fireworks.

Comments

Popular Posts